Study and Work in Canada And Qualify For Canada PR Visa Consultants

Study and Work in Canada And Qualify For Canada PR

Table of Contents

Study and Work in Canada And Qualify For Canada PR

Choose to study and work in Canada simultaneously, if settling in Canada to obtain Permanent residency is your ultimate goal. This will not only help you gain practical work experience but also boost your Express Entry profile score.

Students are encouraged to take part-time jobs even under the Canada study permit. Part-time jobs in Canada can be on-campus or off-campus work opportunities and offers simultaneous study and work in Canada experience for international students.

On-campus jobs include Research/Teaching Assistant, Librarian, working in university-associated hospital or research-facility, working in a student organization. The on-campus part-time jobs allow your school, a faculty member, or a student organization to be your employer. You can also run a business that is physically located inside the campus of your school, all adding great value to your study and work in Canada experience!

Off-campus jobs range from working at a cafeteria to a web-designer for small businesses. The off-campus part-time jobs are valid only if your study program is at least 6 months of duration and it leads to a degree, diploma, or certificate.

Paid part-time jobs in Canada for international students are only for a maximum of 20 hours/week.

Please note that in order to realize the study and work in Canada opportunities, your study permit must list a condition mentioning that you are allowed to work on-campus/off-campus.

Study And Work In Canada – Part-Time Jobs
Usually, on-campus jobs are openly advertised on bulletin boards of all colleges and universities. There are also several other websites carrying information about similar job openings.

International students can also prefer to work in cafes, restaurants, or in retail stores as a salesperson, or choose to be a lifeguard or swimming instructor at a college swimming pool, etc. Canada is a multicultural society and the services of a translator are always in demand.

Visit a job search portal or ask our overseas education coordinators to find suitable part-time jobs to make your study and work in Canada experience valuable.

Interestingly, the students are eligible to get a Social Insurance Number (SIN) to avail of the government benefits and services even while choosing to study and work in Canada!

Co-op Programs – Study & Work In Canada
Some Universities/Colleges offer a special category of study and work in Canada option called Co-op Programs to support the ‘study and work in Canada’ culture.

A Co-op education in Canada, or Co-operative education, is an academic program that requires compulsory and relevant work experience during the course of study. It is designed in such a way that the study course is alternated with work experience in the following term/semester.

Any International student attending a Co-op program in Canada may enhance their study and work in Canada experience, like:

  • Get paid like an actual professional working in an organization
  • Get professional & International work exposure even before you graduate
  • Chance to get a permanent job and settle in Canada

How To Get a Co-op Work Permit in Canada?
The Co-op program in Canada includes work experience as part of their usual course curriculum. Such programs are designed with each term/semester of study alternating with a term/semester of work experience, thus giving a suitable study and work in Canada experience.

You are eligible to apply for a Co-op program in Canada if:

  • you hold a valid study permit to Canada
  • A letter from the concerned institution confirming that the chosen study program needs work placements to get a degree
  • Co-op placement or internship should amount to 50% or less of your entire study program

Furthermore, take this free assessment online to determine your eligibility for the Co-op program and add value to your study and work in Canada experience..

Co-op Program in Canada or Internship: Which is Better For You?
The co-op program in Canada is expected to provide more extensive work experience as the students invest more time in a co-op program, unlike internships. While all international students are eligible for the study and work in Canada, opting for a Co-op program deepens your exposure levels and by virtue, an edge over their peers.

Co-op program in Canada is common in engineering and technology disciplines whereas opportunities in business, liberal arts, or other career fields are limited. Students would usually end up with Internships in such career fields.

Permanent Residency Through Study and Work in Canada

Getting job experience by working in Canada is the utmost important criteria to be eligible to get hired as a full-time professional or start your own business after graduation in Canada.

International students obtain Canadian work experience through part-time jobs, co-op study programs, and later applying for Post-graduation work permits right after graduation.

Federal immigration like Canadian Experience Class or Provincial Nominee Programs with International Graduate streams will allow your study and work in Canada experience realize into permanent residency!

Typically, a foreign graduate from a Canadian institution and a minimum of one year of full-time work experience in Canada can register their profile in the federal Express Entry pool or express their interest in any Provincial database system. Graduates have a good chance of getting hired by a Canadian employer if they have credible part-time job experience. It is possible through ‘study and work in Canada’ culture among international students.

A federal Express Entry pool is a database of all interested foreign skilled workers who are willing to move to Canada permanently for better work opportunities and greater social life. These profiles are ranked against each other based on a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) which assesses each candidate against their human capital – Age, Education, Work Experience, Language Proficiency in English or French, Spouse’s Adaptability.

Only the highest-scoring profile gets nominated to apply for Canada PR in a subsequent Express Entry that is held every fortnight by the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

Ask our overseas education coordinators to share real-time feedback from students already in Canada on their ‘study and work in Canada’ experience.

Recommended Articles

5 Reasons Why You Should Never Miss Out the Opportunity to Study in Canada...

It is evident that the education industry has undergone a significant transformation over the past few years changing the way the system works. The co...

5 Tips to Build an Education Career in Canada...

For many international students, Canada is a dream destination to pursue higher education. Often, studying in Canada it is the first step for them in ...

A Brief Guide on How to Get a Job after Pursuing Education in Canada...

Canada offers a lot of opportunities for international students to work in the country and obtain permanent residence after they complete their gradua...

Interested in studying abroad or Migrating to Abroad with Canapprove?

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

Invalid number
Study and Work in Canada And Qualify For Canada PR

  India Contacts

Canada Contacts

Australia Contacts

UAE Contacts

Subscribe to our Newsletter
canapprove Submitting...

Follow Us

CanApprove@2021. All rights reserved.


One of the leading Migration services around the globe

CanApprove@2021. All rights reserved.

Services Entrepreneur Immigration MBBS Programs Locations
Don’t miss a single immigration update!

Our immigration consultants are at work to provide you with regular and authentic updates on immigration news, entry cut-off scores, entry draw results, etc., Wait no further and enter your E-mail ID to subscribe to our newsletter for free!

Subscribe to our Newsletter
canapprove Submitting...

Follow Us