For the skilled workers who wish to migrate to Canada. The Express Entry system has always been one of the easiest and fastest pathways to obtain permanent residence in the country. The Express Entry system was introduced in January 2015, with an aim to manage applications for immigration under the three federal economic immigration programs of Canada, which are
Besides, every Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) has at least one immigration pathway or stream aligned to federal Express Entry. Every year, thousands of talented immigrants move to Canada through Express Entry.
How pandemic changed Canada Express Entry?
However, the Express Entry system underwent several changes since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Earlier, almost all Express Entry draws used to be all-program draws. But following the outbreak, the draws became program-specific and for a long period, they had been alternating between PNP-specific draws and CEC-specific draws.
- But from September 2021 onwards, the draws have been targeting only PNP candidates. The travel restrictions imposed owing to the impact of the pandemic and a huge backlog of applications were the major reasons for this change.
- However, with most of the COVID-related restrictions lifted and concrete efforts to bring down the backlog taken, Express Entry will soon be conducting all-program draws. Canada Immigration Minister Sean Fraser has been announced that all program Express Entry draws will be conducted from July onwards.
Expected changes in Express Entry
- The bill proposing these changes, which is Bill C-19, is already being evaluated by Canada’s Parliament.
- A major provision in this Bill is the one that allows the Immigration Minister of Canada to create Express Entry groups and then conduct draws to invite candidates from these groups.
- The groups would be formed on the basis of occupations in demand and policy goals such as promoting francophone immigration.
- So moving forward, having a high Comprehensive Ranking System(CRS) score would not be the sole factor that would decide your chances of obtaining Canada PR.
- On the other hand, it would be the experience and training in an occupation which is in demand in Canada.
- For instance, a candidate with CRS 480, a score that was more than enough to guarantee an ITA prior to the pandemic, may no longer receive an ITA at the expense of a candidate with a CRS score of 200, who happens to fall under an occupation in demand.
Canadian Economy and Job
This change is going to help the Canadian economy in many ways.
1. Some of the economic sectors of Canada have been hit hard, by the impact of the pandemic and the country has more than one million job vacancies.
2. So, conducting draws based on labour shortage would help the country fill these vacancies. For example, Canada has a shortage of healthcare workers owing to an aging population and the pandemic.
3. If the Express Entry draws target healthcare workers, such shortages can be managed effectively.
4. In 2022, Canada is planning to welcome 432000 new immigrants.
5. Also in 2023, the number would be 437000 in 2023, and in 451000, the number would be 451000.
6. In the current year, Canada is aiming to welcome almost 56 per cent of the new immigrants through economic class pathways including Express Entry and Provincial Nominee Program.
7. Though the number of Express Entry candidates planning to be admitted this year is comparatively low, by 2024, Canada will be admitting almost 1115000 immigrants through Express Entry.
Indian immigrants constitute a major portion of newcomers admitted to Canada through Express Entry every year. Create an Express Entry profile as the first step, with the help of Canada migration experts of CanApprove. Contact us for more information.