Visa Requirements USA

Table of Contents

Introduction to USA student visa
  • If you wish to study in USA and are not a US citizen, then you must obtain a student visa to pursue your education.
  • Visa application is a long process and you must be prepared well in advanced
  • There are several steps for applying for a student visa, and these steps vary at each US embassy or consulate.

Types of USA visa for studies

Visa type is determined by the institution or by the sponsored organization.

F-1 Student Visa (Non-Immigrant visa):
    • International who wish to complete their higher education in a government

the recognized university can apply for this kind of visa and these international students are eligible for F-1 student visa.

  • Students can undertake part-time, on-campus employment (only 20 hrs per week during the semester and 40 hrs. per week in vacation holidays).
  • students can work on optional practical training (OPT) up to one year.
  • Spouses or children accompanying international students are eligible for F-2 visa but spouses are not able to work in USA.
J-1 Student Visa / Exchange Visitor Visa:
  • for International students who wish to visit USA to undertake exchange programs or practical training
  • J-1 student visa employment options are same as F-1 student visa i.e. mentioned above.
  • Spouses or children accompanying J-1 visa recipients are eligible to travel on J-2 visa and spouses can work if the permission is obtained by exchange visitor program sponsor.
M-1 Student Visa
  • for international students who wish to do nonacademic or vocational studies
  • M-2 visa is for spouses or children accompanying M-1 visa recipients.
  • Both M-1 and M-2 visa recipients are not able to work but children are eligible for full-time schooling at the primary or secondary level.
How to apply for USA student visa
  • International students must ensure to choose an institution and program accredited by the US government’s Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP).
  • You must pay SEVIS fee at least three days before applying for US visa. File an online application for the same.
  • Once you receive the SEVIS form and you have paid the required fee, make an appointment with US embassy or consulate for US visa application process.
  • An online visa application system is followed and you are required to fill up for DS-160.
  • After the application is loaded you will be sent a confirmation message along with a barcode and application ID number. Print the ID number and carry it along with you during your visa interview appointment.
  • Pay the MRV fee (visa application fee). If paying online, take print out of the same. It is required when you go for your visa interview.
  • Complete the final step of fixing an appointment to attend a visa interview with US embassy or consulate for getting a US student visa
  • you must complete the MRV fee payment first since you need to give your MRV fee number for the visa interview.
Documents required for USA student visa
  • Passport valid for at least six months beyond your period of stay in the US.
  • Signed SEVIS Form I-20 or DS-2019 (including individual forms for spouse/children)
  • Form DS-7002 (for J-1 Trainee and Intern visa applicants only)
  • SEVIS fee receipt
  • DS-160 application confirmation page with barcode and application ID number
  • MRV fee payment confirmation receipt
  • Printed copy of visa interview appointment letter
  • 1-2 photographs in the format explained in the photograph requirements. Should be printed on photo quality paper.
  • You should also be prepared to provide the following documents:
  • Transcripts and diplomas from previous institutions attended
  • Scores from standardized tests required by the educational institution such as the TOEFL, LSAT, GRE, GMAT, etc.
  • Financial evidence showing you or your sponsor (i.e. parents or a government sponsor) has sufficient funds to cover your tuition, travel and living expenses during your stay in the US.

Other Important Information

Make sure to carry your visa-related documents in your hand luggage, as you’ll need to be able to present the documents at your port of entry

F-1 visa holders can stay in US for 60 more days after their course completion while J1 and M1 can only remain for 30 days.

Recommended Articles

Interested in studying abroad or Migrating to Abroad with Canapprove?

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

Invalid number
Visa Requirements USA
Subscribe to our Newsletter
canapprove Submitting...

Follow Us

CanApprove@2021. All rights reserved.


One of the leading Migration services around the globe

CanApprove@2021. All rights reserved.

Don’t miss a single immigration update!

Our immigration consultants are at work to provide you with regular and authentic updates on immigration news, entry cut-off scores, entry draw results, etc., Wait no further and enter your E-mail ID to subscribe to our newsletter for free!

Subscribe to our Newsletter
canapprove Submitting...

Follow Us