Table of Contents
Student Visa to New Zealand
Applying for Student Visa in New Zealand
You can apply for a student visa before travelling to New Zealand. A student visa to New Zealand granted offshore will allow you to travel to the New Zealand border. When you arrive, an officer will check that you meet all of the conditions of your student visa to New Zealand that grants entry permission to study in New Zealand.
You can also apply for a student visa to New Zealand when you are already in New Zealand. A student visa to New Zealand granted onshore will usually include travel conditions allowing multiple journeys, so you can travel out of New Zealand and back in before the expiry of the student visa to New Zealand.
Conditions for a Student Visa in New Zealand
A student visa to New Zealand (whether granted onshore or offshore) allows you to study full-time in the country for a limited period only.
A student visa to New Zealand has the following requirements to be met,
- the name of the programme you are allowed to study
- the name of the education provider
- the New Zealand location of the education provider, and
- the requirement to hold insurance.
Fee-Paying Student Visa to New Zealand (Duration Up to 4 Years)
- With this student visa to New Zealand, the candidate can study full-time as stated on the visa. It includes schools, tertiary (study after secondary school) and English language study.
- Work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying or full-time in the holidays, depending on the condition of the visa.
- Students being under a particular age category can stay on their own, otherwise, the parent or legal guardian should accompany them throughout the study.
Pathway Student Visa to New Zealand (Duration Up to 5 Years)
- Using this student visa to New Zealand, the student can study up to 3 courses, one after the other on a single student visa.
- Can work part-time up to 20 hours a week while studying and full-time in the holidays, depending upon the course of study.
Exchange Student Visa to New Zealand (Up to 4 Years Depending On the length of your exchange)
- Study full time in New Zealand in a School-to-school exchange, an exchange programme organisation scheme or a tertiary exchange.
- While studying you can work part-time for up to 20 hours a week or full- time in the holidays, depending on your age and how long your study is.
New Zealand Aid Student Visa (Study Duration Up to 4 Years)
As stated on your student visa, opt to study full- time, this includes schools, tertiary (study after secondary school) and English language study.
This offers part-time work for up to 20 hours a week while studying and full-time in the holidays, depending on your New Zealand Aid Program scheme.
Foreign Government Supported Student Visa
- It has the same policy as the Fee-Paying Student Visa process.
- To study full-time in New Zealand, most overseas students need a student visa to New Zealand.
You are considered to be a domestic student who does not need a student visa to New Zealand if one of the following applies to you.
- If you are a New Zealand citizen.
- If you hold a New Zealand residence class visa.
- If You hold a special temporary (diplomatic, consular or official) visa. However, some overseas students have domestic student status and require a student visa to New Zealand or train in New Zealand.
- University students those who enrolled in a PhD programme for the first time after 10 April 2005.
Some primary and secondary school students do not need a student visa to New Zealand for one or more programs of study, up to a total of three months, that the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA) has approved or exempted.
In that case, you may need to apply for a visitor visa. A student visa to New Zealand is also not required for a single period of up to three months’ study at a primary, intermediate, or secondary school. The study must be completed within that calendar year.
Do you want to know more about student visas in New Zealand? You can ask our overseas education coordinators who have been helping aspiring students to plan their overseas education. Schedule an appointment at your convenience or ask us for a callback.
New Zealand offering IT and Computer Science Programs! Have a look...
IT and Computer Science Information technology is dealt with the utilization of computer systems to store, retrieve, transmit and perform other manipu...
Become a skillful Animator by studying in New Zealand!...
New Zealand A fairyland which owns greenified hills all over, beaches to revel in and dense forests to explore. It has humans from different parts of ...
Civil Engineering Programs in New Zealand!...
Civil Engineering The engineering discipline which is dealt with design, construction and maintenance of environment whether it be physically built or...