Studying abroad can bring so many changes to both your professional and personal life. Taking an education that is globally recognized, leading a life that is highly standardized, and having a different range of opportunities are some key factors of overseas education in Australia.
The Kangaroo country is one of the oldest, most diverse, and most importantly the safest countries on the planet. Australia has a long history of migration since it started in 1945 and around seven million people have migrated to Australia since then. Thus, it turns out to be one of its greatest assets as it has the oldest and well diverse culture. Australia is highly proclaimed for its world-class education, top-end technology, high paid jobs, and much more still.
Let’s see why to study in Australia,
- Numerous reasons to choose Australia and the main one is that it has a quality education and a very pleasing lifestyle.
- No surprise that Australia is a beautiful country. From exploring the steep terrains and velvety green countryside to the stunning sea sides and numerous architectural masterpieces, Australia makes beautiful landscapes.
- The cost of living in Australia is also considerably less compared to USA and UK which makes a sustainable livelihood.
- Notably, Australia has 37 universities that are ranked in QS world rankings and seven universities that are in the top 100 universities in the world.
- Australian education is career-focused and research-oriented as you have an ocean of courses available in different majors. Education attained here is globally acclaimed so work opportunities will be in demand wherever you go.
- It is seen that international students have the advantage of getting more exposure and career growth annually in Australia.
- International students get the liberty to work part-time while studying in Australia. This allows you to gain work experience as well as to manage your livelihood.
- Remarkably, getting an Australian student visa is effortless compared to other top study-abroad destinations. If the necessary documents are given, then it’s a hassle-free process.
- Australia has seven cities that are student-friendly and the safest in the world. They are Melbourne, Brisbane, Canberra, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Perth, and Sydney.
The Education system in Australia
Choosing Australia to study can make sure that you receive an exceptional quality of education, a standard of living, and a concise curriculum, especially focusing on critical thinking, ethical understanding, communication, analytics, and practical learning. Additionally, a wide range of courses close to 22,000 and more than 1100 institutions is a very big boon to students who wish to study in Australia.
The Australian education system is assisted by a unique factor called Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). AQF is a government policy that is established to determine the standards of qualifications, to be precise to specify the level of education and provide certificates.
Another key benefit of Australian education is it is quality assured by the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA). It is a national regulatory and quality agency for higher education that monitors and regulates the higher education sector of Australia.
Additionally, Education Services for Overseas Students (ESOS) looks after the student rights are protected or not. The rights include the following:
- Ensure international student well-being.
- The quality of education students gets in Australia
- Providing information that is accurate and current
Levels of education in Australia
School Education: Like states, school education in Australia complies with primary school, secondary school, and senior secondary school. After successfully completing the senior secondary education (year 12) students get a senior secondary certificate.
Tertiary Education: It includes universities and higher education, Vocational Education Training (VET), and pathway programs.
- Universities and Higher education: At the university level, higher education proffers diplomas, Bachelor, Master, and Doctoral degrees. There are 43 universities out of which 40 are government funded and two are international universities, and one is a private university.
- VET: Vocational courses gives the chance to obtain employment skills and makes an ideal path for students who want practical and industry-based skills to get a quick pathway to a job. These courses are provided by many training organizations, education centers, and Technical and Further Education institutions that are capitalized by the government. Course certificates are given based on the duration and the occupational skills where the certificate levels range from I to IV.
- Pathway programs: To adjust to Australia’s education system and teaching style, international students may need special help and support. Therefore, a lot of pathway programs to higher education which has foundation courses and English language courses are available for international students.
Levels of qualification by AQF
|8||Bachelor’s Honours, Graduate Certificate|
A quick highlights of Australia Education
- Australian education regulator: AQF
- Levels in education by AQF: 10
- Types of education: Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary
- Total Universities: 43
- International Student Protection: ESOS Act 2018
- Quality assurances of education by: TEQSA
Top courses to study in Australia
Here is a list of the most popular courses that international students choose to study in Australia for their higher education:
Computer science and IT
The top Universities in Australia
Following are the top universities and their 2022 QS world rankings:
|Universities||2022 QS World Ranking|
|Australian National University (ANU)||27|
|University of Melbourne||37|
|University of Sydney||38|
|University of New South Wales||43|
|University of Queensland (UQ)||47|
|University of Western Australia||93|
Intakes in Australia
There are two major intakes, and some colleges offer the third intake.
- Intake 1: From late February and early march to late May and early June
- Intake 2: From late July and early August to November
- Intake 3: From late October and early November to February
Eligibility to study in Australia
- Diploma Programs require a minimum of 60% in grade 12 and a score of at least 5.5 in the IELTS exam. And this exam should be taken only within the 2 years of your course commencement.
- Bachelor’s Programs in Australia require at least 65% in your senior higher secondary. In addition, the IELTS score required for this program is 6.0.
- Master’s Programs require a 3-year bachelor’s degree from a recognized university which is equivalent to Australian education. A minimum IELTS score of 6.5 is required for Master’s Programs in Australia.
- Doctoral Programs are the higher most senior level of education for which a bachelor’s and a master’s program are needed. Along with that IELTS with a minimum score of 6.5 is also required.
Australian PR Pathways
International students have access to a variety of pathways. The one that’s right for you depends on various factors like the degree you hold, your English proficiency, your work history, and other prerequisites. The following are the three most common pathways to Australian PR.
1.Post-Study Work Visa in Australia
Many applicants discover they are not immediately eligible for permanent residency after finishing their studies. This can be the case because they lack the necessary points for skilled migration or because they lack sponsorship from an employer. In this situation, applicants can choose the Post Study Work Visa (subclass 485) which is an appropriate visa after their studies.
Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485): This type of visa has two streams which are the Post Study Work Stream and the Graduate Work Stream.
- Post-study Work Stream is for students who graduated recently and should apply for this visa within 6 months of completing their course. The duration may range from 2 to 4 years depending on the qualification.
- Graduate Work Stream is for students who have skills in occupations that are in the skilled occupation list of Australia. The stay duration is up to 18 months on this visa.
Skilled Recognised Graduate Visa (subclass 476): This is for international students who have completed engineering from a specialized educational institution in the last 2 years and they can get this visa for 18 months to 5 years stay-back duration, which depends on their skill level and qualification.
The Post Study Work Visa easily fulfills the requirements needed for a permanent visa. That could be, for instance, by completing Australian work experience or by improving one’s English proficiency to gain more points for skilled migration.
2.General Skilled Migration
It is not necessary to have an employer sponsor you to qualify for a permanent visa under the skilled migration program. This is based on a point test in which the minimum point as a pass mark is 65 points. These skilled visa points are given based on factors like your skills, Work Experience, English language ability, educational background, and so on to add points.
This is an alternate visa pathway when the employer doesn’t meet the skilled migration requirements. This is the next best option because it is easier compared to general skilled migration. This pathway is a process to obtain a temporary visa at the beginning and then move towards a permanent visa after working in Australia for at least 3 years for the employer who sponsors you.
Australian Student Visa
The visa type you require to study in Australia is Student Visa (Subclass 500). This is common for every international student regardless of their field of study.
- Subclass 500 Visa lets you stay and study in Australia for the duration of your course which is up to 5 years.
- Students are allowed to work for a maximum of 40 hours during their semesters and unlimited hours during semester breaks.
- Students can bring their family members to Australia on this visa.
Requirements for an Australian Student Visa
1. Letter of offer from the enrolled University
2. Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
3. English Proficiency proof (IELTS, TOEFL, PTE)
4. Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE)
5. Proof of sufficient funds
6. Medical clearance certificate
7. Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)
8. No criminal records
How to process the Australian Student Visa?
- The first step to start the process is to gather all the above-said documents that are required to apply for a student visa
- You must prove everything that is implied as the visa conditions and submit every proof
- To start with the online application, an IMMI Account should be created
- Apply for the visa online
- After receiving the application, you will be notified by the authorities
- From then you can keep track of your visa application status
Note: Applicants can get conditional offer letter at the time of application even though they missed out on meeting any of the points in the criteria. But at the time of GTE, the criteria in the conditional offer letter should be met. Given that, the eligibility is not a barrier to get admission. But still the applicants are obliged to meet them all before the program commences.
This might look like a hectic task to pull off and more confusing but approaching a well-recognized overseas education consultancy will make your work half the burden. Contact CanApprove, your one-stop solution for the Australian education process.
CanApprove is one of the leading Australian education agencies that has helped many students to get Australian student visas. We give high-end service to our clients with the industry’s best and expert Australian counsellors.
Find your Course now!
Get in Touch
Just a few steps to get it started!
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does it cost to study in Australia?
The tuition fees in Australian universities might vary and depends on the program and course you choose. Approximately, it would cost around 15,000 AUD to 50,000 AUD.
Are any scholarships available for international students in Australia?
There are a variety of scholarships available, to apply, you need to register Online Australia Scholarship Information System (OASIS). According to your eligibility, scholarships will be available.
What is the processing time for an Australian Student Visa?
Processing time varies, 75% of students get their visa in one month and 90% of students get it processed in under 48 days.
How many years of study gap is accepted in Australia?
Mostly, a study gap of 1 to 2 years is acceptable in most Australian Universities. More than that, the gap needs to be justified and, in most cases, not processed.
What is the maximum age limit to get an Australian Student Visa?
Australia has no age limit for those applying for student visas. However, if you are under the age of 18, there are some limitations.