Canapprove WHATSAPP


Get in Touch

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Canada PR Renouncing

    Canada PR renouncing, also called voluntary renunciation, is the official process of giving up your permanent resident status in Canada. This is usually done if you plan to relocate permanently elsewhere. It involves submitting an application and surrendering your PR card. Usually there’s no fee, but it can take a couple of months to be approved.

    Once your application is approved , you will no longer be a Permanent Resident of Canada and you will lose access to social and health services provided to permanent residents by the Government of Canada.

    Why Renounce PR?

    • You want to accept a diplomatic or official position with a foreign government.
    • You want to obtain citizenship or permanent resident status in another country and that country requires you to renounce permanent resident status in Canada or
    • You only want to visit Canada and you know you have not met the residency obligations because you have been outside of Canada for a long period of time and
      1. You don’t want to wait for a visa officer to assess whether or not you are still a permanent resident of Canada or
      2. You would like to apply for a temporary resident visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)or
      3. You would like to avoid delays at the Port of Entry
    • You no longer want to live in Canada permanently.

    Impact of Renouncing PR

    Renouncing PR has significant consequences. Here’s what you lose:

    • You’ll no longer have the right to live , study or work in Canada without authorization from IRCC
    • You will lose access to social programs and healthcare benefits available to permanent residents.
    • You’ll no longer be eligible to apply for Canadian citizenship.

    The process of renouncing PR

    • Collecting the documents
    • Complete the application
    • Submitting the application

    Send your complete application with all supporting documentation to the Canadian visa office responsible for your country of citizenship or legal residence.

    Required Documents

    • Completed Application to Voluntarily Renounce Permanent Resident Status
    • Photo
    • Passport
    • Valid Permanent Resident Card (PR Card)

    Eligibility requirements to voluntarily renounce PR status

    • You must be a permanent resident of Canada
    • Hold citizenship or valid permanent resident status elsewhere: This ensures you have legal status in another country after renouncing your Canadian PR.
    • If you are under 18 years old, you should have written consent from all legal guardians.


    Find your Course now!

    Course finder

    Get in Touch

    Just a few steps to get it started!

      [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

      Frequently Asked Questions

      Who can renounce their permanent resident status?

      To renounce your Canadian PR, you must be a permanent resident of Canada, hold valid permanent residency or citizenship elsewhere (if over 18), and have written consent from the guardian if under 18.

      What happens after renouncing PR?

      The decision is permanent and can’t be appealed. You lose permanent resident status and become ineligible for Canadian citizenship (including any pending applications).

      How does this affect your family members?

      Your family members can keep their status, even you renounce your status. However, ongoing family sponsorship applications you submitted will be rejected upon your PR renunciation approval.

      Can I still get social benefits?

      No, you lose access to social and health services for permanent residents. You might qualify for certain benefits, like the Canada Pension Plan or Old Age Security, but exceptions may apply. Contact the relevant authorities to confirm eligibility.

      Can I still visit Canada after renouncing PR?

      Yes, but you might require a temporary resident visa (TRV) or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) depending on  your country of citizenship and the purpose of your visit and the travel document you will be using.

      Can I renounce PR if I'm a protected person?

      Yes, you can. but you will not lose your protected person status. If you remain in Canada, you can continue to live as a protected person in Canada and you may be eligible for a work or study permit.



      Enquire Now Call Now