Table of Contents
As of 2022, Canada’s population stands at 38.40 million and ranks 39th on the list of countries’ populations. More than 8 million immigrants (permanent residence holders) call Canada their home. The number is approximately 21.5 percent of the total Canadian population in 2021. The immigration programs that constitute most of these population were skilled workers program and provincial nominee programs. It should also be mentioned that the Canadian Family Sponsorship Visa Program has also played a considerable role in helping foreign individuals to immigrate to Canada.
What Is The Canada Family Sponsorship Program?
The Canadian Family Sponsorship Program allows individuals to sponsor his/her relative to study and work in Canada.
Who Can Become A Sponsor Under The Canada Family Sponsorship Program?
An individual can only become an eligible sponsor if he/she meets certain requirements as specified by the Canadian government. Below listed are the criteria that make an individual eligible:
- The applicant should be aged at least 18 years old.
- The applicant should either be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident who is living in Canada.
- The applicant should be able to prove that he/she is not receiving any social assistance from the Canadian Government. Exceptions may be accepted if it is for a disability reason.
- The applicant should also show proof that he/she can take care of themselves and also the person they are sponsoring.
Sponsoring A Spouse Or Common-Law Partner Or Conjugal Partner
The individual can sponsor his/her spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner under the Canada Family Sponsorship Program only if:
- The about to be sponsored person is at least 18 years old.
- They have a relationship which is genuine and have not just entered Canada on the grounds of obtaining a permanent residence.
Sponsoring A Dependent Child
If the applicant is sponsoring a spouse or a partner under the Canada Family Sponsorship Program, dependent children should be listed on the respective application form (if any). If the individual is planning to sponsor more than one dependent child, then he/she should submit the entire set of applications for the child.
Sponsoring A Relative
An individual who wishes to sponsor his/her relatives can only sponsor the below-listed relatives (only when they meet all the conditions).
- Close Relatives (Orphaned): –
The individual can sponsor close relatives if they are orphaned and aged below 18 and without a spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner. He/she should also be related by blood or adoption such as brothers or sister, nephews or nieces, and grandchildren.
An individual can also sponsor one relative who is related by blood or adoption, irrespective of his/her age when the following conditions are met under the Canada Family Sponsorship Program. The sponsor shouldn’t be having a living relative that he/she could sponsor such as:
- Common-Law Partner
- Conjugal Partner
- Brother or Sister
- Son or Daughter
- Uncle or Aunt
- Nephew or Niece
- Parents & Grandparents
The applicant should also not have any of the above-listed relatives as a Canadian Citizen or a Canadian Permanent Resident.
Who Cannot Become A Sponsor Under The Canada Family Sponsorship Program?
An applicant cannot become a sponsor if he/she falls under any of the below mentioned categories:
- If the applicant has failed to pay an immigration loan or a family support payment.
- If the applicant is under a removal order.
- If the applicant is receiving social assistance other than disability.
- The individual should not be in prison or reformatory.
- If the individual was sponsored by his/her spouse or partner and became a Canadian permanent resident in less than five years.
Other Things To Be Known About Canada Family Sponsorship Program
- If any of the required documents and fees are missing, the processing of the application will immediately be stopped and sent back to the applicant.
- If the individual’s application has all the necessary documents, he/she will be notified via email or letter stating that the process has been initiated.
- The processing time for Canadian Family Sponsorship Program varies by country.
- The sponsored person should bring along with them a valid passport without which they will not be allowed to enter into Canada.
To know more about the Canada Family Sponsorship Program, get in touch with our team of experts now and check your eligibility to migrate to Canada for free!