Express Entry is a non-biased, point-based program that helps the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) to identify and select skilled immigration candidates who can establish themselves economically in Canada. You must first create an Express Entry profile to obtain a Canada PR. It is one of the fastest and simplest pathways for skilled workers to migrate to Canada.
How Does Canada Express Entry System Work?
- If you wish to get a Canada PR from India, you must first create an Express Entry profile.
- Your profile will be assessed based on various human capital factors and awarded a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score out of 1200.
- Applicants with the highest CRS scores will receive an invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada under the Express Entry draws.
- Once you apply for Permanent Residence, your application will be processed within a minimum duration of 6 months.
Programs under the Canada Express Entry System
You can apply for a Permanent Residency in Canada through the Express Entry system under any of the following economic immigration programs.
Federal Skilled Worker Program: The Federal Skilled Worker Program (FSWP) is for foreign workers with the skills and work experience and meeting other eligibility requirements.
The Federal Skilled Trades Program: The Federal Skilled Trades Program is for candidates who are qualified in a skilled trade and want to migrate to Canada.
The Canadian Experience Class: Individuals with considerable skilled work experience in Canada can migrate under the Canadian Experience Class program. This also includes work experience earned during Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWP)
Express Entry eligibility for Canada
You will be assessed based on several factors before applying for a Permanent Residence in Canada. You must score at least 67 points out of 100 based on following six factors:
- Education level
- Proficiency in English & French (French is optional except for certain provinces)
- Work experience & skills
- Job offer from a Canadian employer
Only if your score is 67, you can proceed to create an Express Entry profile. After submitting your profile, you will be invited to apply for PR based on your CRS score.
How to Process Canada PR Visa through Express Entry Program?
- You must first create a profile under the Express Entry pool.
- Your profile will be ranked based on the CRS score
- Those with the highest CRS score points will be invited in the Express Entry draws that are conducted regularly
- The higher the CRS score, the better the chances for you to receive an invitation to apply (ITA) for permanent residence in Canada
Canada immigration express entry draw
The Canada Express Entry draw is conducted approximately every two weeks. You must create an Express Entry profile and submit an Expression of Interest for a province/territory in Canada. Based on your CRS score, IRCC invites candidates by sending an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for Permanent Residence.
Express Entry draws take place in three types such
1. All-program Express Entry draw
IRCC invites candidates through an all-program Express Entry draw under the programs such as Federal Skilled Workers Program (FSWP), Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP), Canadian Experience Class (CEC), and the Provincial Nominee Programs (PNP).
2. PNP Express Entry draw
IRCC targets candidates in Express Entry Pool who has been nominated by the Provinces in Canada based on the demand for skilled workers in the province. PNP-specific Express Entry draws in Canada occur more often than the general draws.
For updates on the latest Express Entry draws, check out our up-to-date Canada immigration news!
Documents Requirement for Express Entry Program
- Birth certificate
- Education documents
- Updated Resume
- IELTS score
- Proof of previous and current employment
- Proof of funds
3.Category Based Selection
In category-based selection, the candidates in the express entry pool with the eligibility to qualify for a specific category established by the minister to meet the economic goals are all invited. The criteria for Category-Based selection in 2023 include,
- Meet the eligibility criteria for an Express Entry managed program.
- Have accumulated, at least 6 months of continuous work experience (in Canada or abroad) within the past 3 years in a single occupation listed as eligible.
- Meet all requirements in the instructions for that round.
The following are the categories based on which invitations are sent to the Canada PR applicants
- French-language proficiency
- Healthcare occupations
- Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) occupations
- Trade occupations
- Transport occupations
- Agriculture and agri-food occupations
Processing time for the Express Entry program
In most of the cases IRCC processes your application in 6 months or less once you submit your Permanent Residence application. However, receiving an Invitation to Apply (ITA) is based on your profile which is calculated as CRS points.
To avoid delays, provide the required documents for Canada PR. If you feel the process for Canada PR from India is cumbersome, take help from the Immigration experts at CanApprove.
CRS Score Calculator
A comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) is point based system that assesses the express entry candidates when they apply for a PR. The CRS score is calculated for a total of 1200 points. 600 points are calculated based on factors like
- Educational qualifications
- Work experience
- Language requirements
Other factors, such as personal connection with Canada, spouse included in the application, etc., also decide your CRS score. IRCC usually determines a cut-off of the Canada CRS points and invites candidates based on it.
Note: If a province nominates you under the Express Entry stream, you automatically earn additional points 600.
Try our FREE Canada CRS Calculator to explore your possibilities!
The Canadian Express Entry Program has proved to be a worthy initiative of the Canadian government for processing skilled worker applications quickly and simply. The system’s efficient functioning and quick processing promise the applicants immediate and definite results, making it a reliable way for skilled workers to migrate to Canada.
Get in touch with us to learn more about the Canada Express Entry Program and get a free consultation & eligibility assessment from our immigration experts.
Find your CRS score now!
Get in Touch
Just a few steps to get it started!
Frequently Asked Questions
Do I need a job offer to get a Canada PR?
A job offer is optional to receive an invitation and get a Canada Permanent Residence. However, a valid job offer from a Canadian employer or a nomination from a province will increase the CRS points and can help you receive an ITA quickly.
Can I update my express entry profile after creating it?
Yes. You can update your Express Entry profile now and then, adding new educational qualifications, improved language scores, or increased work experience, which would increase your chances of receiving an ITA.
Is there any specific time during the year of creating an Express Entry profile?
No! You can submit your profile under the Express Entry Program at any time of the year.
Is the Canada PR requirements for Indians different from others?
No. The requirements for applying for a PR is same for all and it doesn’t differ for countries.