The following are the Skilled Trades currently eligible for the Canada Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) according to the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) Skill Type Level B:
- Major Group 72: industrial, electrical and construction trades
- Major Group 73: maintenance and equipment operation trades
- Major Group 82: supervisors and technical jobs in natural resources, agriculture and related production
- Major Group 92: processing, manufacturing and utilities supervisors and central control operators
- Minor Group 632: chefs and cooks, and
- Minor Group 633: butchers and bakers.
Applicants applying for Canadian Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) must meet the following requirements:
- Have an offer of employment from two employers in Canada committing to employ the applicant for at least one year. Or have a Certificate of Qualification from a provincial or territorial body.
- In Canada, provinces and territories issue certificates of qualification in the skilled trades after assessing the applicant’s training, trade experience and skills.
- Work experience in a skilled trade for at least 24 months of full-time work or an equal amount of part-time work. (A total of at least 30 hours over a period of one week for two years in the skilled trade within the five years before applying).
- Meet or exceed the Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) or required language levels needed for the job.
- Take a language test approved by Immigration Refugees and Immigration Canada (IRCC) demonstrating the applicant’s proficiency in speaking, listening, reading and writing in English and/or French.
- Intend to work and live outside of the province of Quebec.
- Education is not a requirement for FSTP however, if the applicant wants to earn points for education in the CRS under Express Entry, the applicant needs to provide:
- A Canadian High School or Post-Secondary certificate, diploma or degree.
- A completed foreign credential along with an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report from an agency approved by IRCC.
- The applicant must demonstrate his/her ability to meet the job requirements of the respective skilled trade as per the NOC requirements.
Once the eligibility requirements are met, the applicant is required to demonstrate that he/she has sufficient funds to support him and any dependents after his/her arrival in Canada. In addition to these requirements, the applicant and his/her dependents must undergo medical examination and obtain security clearance.
Express Entry System
Since its launch in January 2015, Canada has welcomed over 43,000 economic immigrants through the Express Entry system. The Express Entry system is a fast-track system for immigration for highly skilled workers and students.
According to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), applicants selected under the Express Entry Program are skilled workers who possess the ability to contribute to the development of Canada’s economy. The skills and abilities of a candidate are assessed based on a point-based system known as the Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) where the Canadian government assesses and awards scores to applicants in order to rank them in the Express Entry pool. Applicants with the highest scores and ranking are sent an invitation to apply (ITA) from Canada.
In order to get into the Express Entry pool and be eligible for Canadian Immigration the applicant needs to meet the requirements of one of the following programs:
- The Federal Skilled Worker Program
- The Federal Skilled Trades Program
- The Canadian Experience Class.
Why Choose CanApprove to apply for FSTP?
The CanApprove team has been consistent in delivering reliable immigration and legal services for the past 25 years. We guarantee our client’s a hassle-free experience by being there to answer questions and provide solutions every step of the way.
For more information on the Federal Skilled Trades Program (FSTP) and/or the Express Entry System, get in touch with our team of qualified consultants, skilled advisors and highly trained instructors.
Find your CRS score now!
Get in Touch
Just a few steps to get it started!