Alberta Immigration Streams
The Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP) is Alberta’s Provincial Nominee Program which enables applicants who have the skills and experience required in Alberta to receive an Alberta Provincial Nomination Certificate which helps expedite their overall immigration process to Canada. Currently, the AINP has three immigration streams:
- Strategic Recruitment Stream
- Employer-Driven Stream
- Self-Employed Farmer Stream
However, in January 2018, the AINP will open two new Alberta immigration streams: The Alberta Opportunity Stream (AOS) and the Alberta Express Entry Stream. AOS will replace the Employer Driven Stream.
Alberta’s Express Entry Stream
Express Entry candidates who receive a provincial nomination through an Express Entry stream receive 600 additional Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) points and an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence. Currently, the eligibility criteria for Alberta’s Express Entry Stream has not been disclosed.
Alberta’s Opportunity Stream (AOS)
To qualify for AOS, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Have a valid temporary resident status at the time of application.
- Not be living or working in any other territory or province.
- Have a valid work permit for an eligible occupation.
- A minimum score of 4in each language skill: listening, reading, writing and speaking in English or French.
- Minimum requirement: completion of Canadian high school diploma or equivalent.
- Applicants with a foreign education need to verify their diplomas, degrees and/or certificates through an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) from an Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) recognized organization.
- Have a minimum of 12 months full-time work experience in their current occupation in Alberta within the last 18 months or have a minimum of 24 months of full-time work experience in their current occupation in Canada and/or overseas within the last 30 months.
- The work experience must be full-time experience for a minimum of 30 hours/week.
- Have a valid job offer from an employer in Alberta to work in the current occupation.
- The job offer must be continuous, paid work, full-time work, defined as a minimum of 30 hours/week for 12 months.
- To qualify for AOS, an applicant is required to meet certain income levels depending on his/her number of family members.
Family Size (including applicant)
Annual Income ($ CAD)
Below is a list of ineligible occupations under the AOS:
|School Principals and Administrators of Elementary and Secondary Education
|Managers in Social, Community and Correctional Services
|Fire Chiefs and Senior Firefighting Officers
|Escort Agency Managers, Massage Parlour Managers
|Secondary School Teachers
|Elementary School and Kindergarten Teachers
|Professional Occupations in Religion
|Authors and Writers
|Musicians and Singers
|Actors and Comedians
|Painters, Sculptors and Other Visual Artists
|Court Officers and Justices of the Peace
|Dental Laboratory Bench Workers
|Early Childhood Educators and Assistants
|Other Religious Occupations
|Other Performers, n.e.c.
|Artisans and Craftsperson
|Real Estate Agents and Salespersons
|Home Child Care Providers
|Home Support Workers, Housekeepers and Related Occupations
|Elementary and Secondary School Teacher Assistants
|Other Personal Service Occupations
|Taxi and Limousine Drivers and Chauffeurs
|Trappers and Hunters
|Other Sales Related Occupations
|Operators and Attendants in Amusement, Recreation and Sport
|Other Service Support Occupations, n.e.c.
|Landscaping and Grounds Maintenance laborer
|Aquaculture and Marine Harvest laborer
Find out if you are eligible to apply, get a free assessment.