To be eligible under this stream, the candidate must be a recent graduate from a recognized Nova Scotia university or community college and have already set up or purchased a business in the province. The stream expects the candidates to settle in Nova Scotia permanently and actively manage the business on a day-to-day basis.
The International Graduate Entrepreneur stream of Nova Scotia Nominee Program operates on the basis of an Expression of Interest (EoI) system. The candidates who submit the EoI are awarded scores on the basis of a number of selection factors and the highest scoring candidates are invited to apply.
Eligibility criteria for applicants
- The candidate must have completed a full-time Nova Scotia post-secondary diploma or degree with a minimum duration of two years from a recognized Nova Scotia university or community college
- The candidate must have resided in Nova Scotia full-time during the academic program
- Intent to settle permanently in Nova Scotia
- Must have owned and operated a business in Nova Scotia continuously for at least one year before submitting the EoI
- Proficiency in English/French equal to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in all four components (listening, speaking, writing and reading)
- Minimum age of 21 years
- Hold a valid Post-graduation Work Permit at the time of submitting the application
- Own at least 33.33% equity of the proposed business and actively participate in the day-to-day management of the business.
- Demonstrate that the candidate is receiving compensation from the business in the form of salary. The salary must be above the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) as defined by Statistics Canada.
Minimum Requirements for Businesses
- The candidate must have started the business with a career objective and not solely for the immigration purpose
- Meet the legal requirements in which the business will be operated
- Must be a permanent establishment
- Pay income tax and other taxes
- The candidate must be managing the business from the place of business in Nova Scotia
- Must be economically beneficial for Nova Scotia
- Create employment opportunity for at least one Canadian citizen or permanent resident
Expression of Interest ranking system
The Expression of Interest profiles are ranked on the basis the following selection factors. Though there is no minimum score, only the highest scoring candidates are invited to apply.
|Selection factors||Maximum Points|
|Business ownership or senior management experience||35|
|Nova Scotia economic priorities||10|
|Total||Maximum 150 points|
How to apply
Those interested in applying for the stream must first submit an Expression of Interest. Each of these profiles is awarded a score based on the selection factors. The highest scoring candidates will be invited in the draws that are conducted periodically. The invited candidates can submit the complete application along with an audit opinion and special purpose report. If their application is accepted, they will be invited for an interview with a Nova Scotia immigration officer. After a successful interview, the candidate will receive provincial nomination for permanent residence. The candidate can apply to the federal government for Canada PR within six months.
A high quality of life and great opportunities to grow are what make Canada an attractive destination for immigrant entrepreneurs and investors. Contact us if you want to know more about your options to make Canada your permanent home.