In the latest draw held, Quebec invited 444 foreign workers to apply for Quebec Selection Certificate (CSQ) which would enable themselves to settle in Quebec province.
The candidates under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program with an Expression of Interest (EOI) were targeted in the latest draw. These candidates submitted their EOIs with their personal information through Arima system in order to be considered for the program.
Most of the invited candidates had their previous applications under immigration reforms passed on June 16, 2019. The reforms had cancelled thousands of pending skilled worker applications in order to align immigrants with Quebec’s labour market needs.
The selected candidates met the following criteria to be eligible for receiving an invitation in the latest draw held on August 19, the details of which were revealed recently:
- Application for selection submitted under the Quebec Skilled Worker Program was terminated, pursuant to Section 28 of Quebec’s Act to increase Québec’s socio-economic prosperity and adequately meet labor market needs through successful immigrant integration (the Act); and
- Filed an EOI with the Minister before December 17, 2019; and
- They were in one of the following situations:
- Their application, which was terminated under the Act, was submitted to the Minister under Section 5.01 of the Regulation respecting the selection of foreign nationals; or
- They were staying in Québec on June 16, 2019, while they held a study or work permit issued pursuant to Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations.
Check your eligibility for Quebec immigration here with our free immigration assessment.
Modelled after the federal Express Entry system, Arima system was introduced last year as a dedicated online portal to submit EOI to immigrate to Quebec under the Skilled Worker Program.
Under the new EOI system for Quebec immigration, interested candidates create a profile in Arima. Equivalent to Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) in federal Express Entry system, candidates are ranked in Arima based on score which is dependent on factors such as their age, education, proficiency in French, area of training, and work experience.
Technically, an EOI is not regarded as an application but is only a way for interested candidates to notify the Government of Quebec that they would like to be considered for a Quebec Selection Certificate (Certificat de sélection du Québec, or CSQ).
Eligible candidates are invited to apply for a CSQ based on either their scores or other factors such as labour shortages in the province’s outlying regions.
Those who apply for and receive a CSQ are required to apply for permanent residence through Canada’s federal Immigration Ministry that verifies medical and criminal admissibility.
Quebec province in Canada has a huge demand for skilled workers. Get in touch with us for more updates on Canada immigration as well as expert consultancy on immigration to Quebec and other regions in Canada.