Saskatchewan launched a new Tech Talent Pathway on March 7, with an aim to attract more tech workers to the province. The new pathway is expected to reduce the labour shortages being faced by the tech sector of the province. The pathway will also help the employers in the technology and innovation sectors of Saskatchewan to attract more talent for increasing global competitiveness of Saskatchewan.Saskatchewan expects the technology sector to be an important driver of economic growth when the province emerges from the impact of the pandemic. Saskatchewan’s immigration and career training minister Jeremy Harrison said in a media release, said, “The new Tech Talent Pathway provides our Saskatchewan employers with a dedicated stream for the attraction of highly skilled talent into our thriving technology sector.” The new stream is designed in such a way to expedite the immigration process for tech workers both inside and outside the province.
Saskatchewan Tech Talent Pathway: Eligibility
In order to be eligible under the Saskatchewan Tech Talent Pathway, a candidate must meet the following requirements:
- An employer-specific SINP Job Approval Letter for a tech occupation eligible under the pathway
- Language proficiency of not less than Level 5 in Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) if they are already working in the province. If they are applying from abroad, they need to have a minimum language proficiency equal to CLB level 7.
- At least one year of work experience in the said occupation, which is acquired in the past five years or six months of Saskatchewan work experience.
- Post-secondary level education
- Eligibility for Saskatchewan professional licensing (for eligible computer, software, electrical and electronics engineers)
Saskatchewan Tech Talent Pathway: Eligible occupations
Eligible occupations under Saskatchewan Tech Talent Pathway:
- 0213 Computer and information systems managers
- 2133 Electrical and Electronics engineers
- 2147 Computer engineers (except software engineers and designers)
- 2171 Information System analysts and consultants
- 2172 Database analysts and data administrators
- 2173 Software engineers and designers
- 2174 Computer programmers and interactive media developers
- 2175 Web designers and developers
- 2281 Computer network technicians
- 2282 User support technicians
- 2283 Information system testing technicians