Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189 visa) is the most sought-after visa among those who aspire to migrate to Australia. The 189 visa is for eligible skilled workers who are neither sponsored by an employer or family member nor nominated by a state or territory. The visa is obtained through a point-based system and once obtained, it offers the visa holder and his/her accompanying family members permanent residency in Australia.
Requirements for Subclass 189 Visa
In order to obtain Skilled Independent Visa (Subclass 189 Visa), the applicant must:
- Have an occupation in the (Skilled Occupation List) of Australia.
- Score a minimum of 60 points in the points test based on his/her profile factors such as age, work experience and English language proficiency.
- Be under the age of 45.
- Have a minimum score of 6 in each of the four test components in the IELTS test or a relevant score in an English competency test from an approved test provider.
- Submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) and be invited by the immigration authority of Australia to apply.
- Have valid health and character certifications.
Application process for Subclass 189 Visa
- The applicant must submit an Expression of Interest (EOI) via SkillSelect with the required details such as nominated occupation, skills etc.
- SkillSelect will rank the applicant based on the points he/she scores.
- Based on the applicant’s rank and the availability of places for his/her nominated occupation, the applicant will be sent an invitation to apply for the visa.
- The applicant will have to apply for a visa within 60 days of receiving the invitation.
- The application is usually processed within a maximum of eight months.
Benefits of Subclass 189 Visa
A Skilled Independent Visa holder and his/her accompanying family members enjoy:
- The right to live and work in Australia indefinitely.
- The right to study full-time in Australia from primary school to postgraduate level.
- Healthcare at subsidized rates.
- Social security benefits.
- Eligibility to apply for Australian citizenship [given that they meet all the requirements].
- Travelling in and outside Australia as many times within five years after getting the visa.
- Sponsoring a family member to stay in Australia on a temporary or permanent basis.
To explore your Australian immigration options, please contact us.