More than 39000 Indian skilled workers were admitted to Canada through Express Entry in 2018, shows recent data. While 40% of the total immigrants admitted to Canada through Express Entry were Indians in 2017, the percentage was 43% in 2018. It indicates that the share of Indian applicants who successfully received Canada PR through Express Entry rose both in terms of percentage and in terms of absolute numbers in 2018.
The total number of candidates admitted to Canada through Express Entry in 2018 was 92000. Of these, 39500 were Indians. This marked a 51% increase in the number of Indians admitted to Canada through Express Entry in 2018 compared to the previous year
Admissions (total persons) by countries of citizenship, 2017
|Country of Citizenship
Admissions (total persons) by countries of citizenship, 2018
|Country of Citizenship
The year 2018 witnessed 15 percent more Indians receiving Invitations to Apply for permanent residence in Canada in the Express Entry draws. The success rate of Canada PR applications from Indians also increased from 72 percent in 2017 to 95 percent in 2018. It means the rate of Indians receiving ITAs but failing to qualify for Canada PR also came down.
Reasons for increase
The major reasons for increase in the number of Indians receiving Canada PR through Express Entry were as follows:
- Canada Express Entry offered a transparent and efficient pathway immigration compared to the EB-1, EB-2 and EB-3 visas of the US which often face processing delays
- Trump administration’s negative approach towards the H1-B visas to the US. In contrast to the US, Canada made all attempts to attract qualified skilled workers to the country
- Canada plans to admit 81400 immigrants through Express Entry in 2019. The number is set to increase in the coming years. The higher the admission target, the more the number of ITAs being issued.
- Global Skill Strategy of Canada allows a firm in the country to hire a foreign skilled worker within just two weeks.
- Canada’s lifestyle and amenities are almost similar to that of US. It is an attractive factor for young and talented Indians who immigrate in search of a better quality life
- While the US policies curbed the entry of Indians to the US, Canada welcomed Indians to compensate its aging population with an educated workforce
- A large number Indians working in the US were migrating to Canada as the US was tightening residence norms
As there are no significant changes in these factors that caused an increase in the number of Indians receiving the ITAs, it is expected that more Indians would be admitted to Canada in the current year too.
Express Entry is the most viable and fast track pathway for skilled workers with relevant experience and other qualifications to migrate to Canada. To check your eligibility to migrate to Canada through Express Entry, fill our free eligibility assessment form