With a few new proposals introduced by the Quebec government on June 7, the Quebec immigration levels are likely to touch 52,500 in 2022. It means an increase of 10,500 newcomers to Quebec from this year’s maximum of 42,000 newcomers. The new proposals indicate that Quebec is returning to the immigration levels that existed before the new Coalition Avenir Québec (CAQ) government came to power in October 2018. These proposals will also be the basis of public hearings on immigration, which will begin on August 12.
Changing Quebec immigration levels
The Quebec immigration levels were above 50000 during the period between 2015 and 2018. The government of Quebec decided to bring down the immigration levels in 2018 for fulfilling an election promise that the concerns regarding the newcomers failing to properly integrate into the majority French-speaking province would be addressed.
In the proposals introduced on June 7, the Immigration Ministry of Quebec (MIDI) explained that the number of newcomers was reduced last year with an aim to revamp the integration programs and services of the province. Now the government will gradually increase the number of newcomers per year by 3000 or 4000 between 2020 and 2022. It will allow both state and civil society actors to provide immigrants with the tools they need to successfully integrate into Quebec society. So, by 2022, the immigration levels will be between 49,500 and 52,500. Out of these, 65 percent of newcomers will be selected through the economic-class immigration programs of Quebec.
The other major proposals include:
- Favour foreign workers and foreign nationals with a degree in Québec, who meet the province’s labour market needs and are already living in Quebec
- Favour skilled applicants with in-demand training or a validated job offer
- Expedite the arrival of economic-class immigrants
- Support employers in their efforts to recruit temporary foreign workers
- Promote the selection of immigrants who know Quebec’s values
- Expand the number of adult immigrants who speak French
- Encourage permanent immigration of young people
Migrating to Quebec guarantees vast opportunities for career growth and high standards of living. CanApprove is a recognized immigration consultancy with decades of experience in Canada/Quebec migration. Contact us for any advice or assistance with regard to migrating to Quebec.