In the biggest Ontario Expression of Interest draw in 2022, the province invited 1034 Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream candidates to apply for provincial nomination. The draw held on April 26 targeted candidates with Comprehensive Ranking System(CRS) scores ranging between 300 and 461. The candidates were also required to have submitted Express Entry profiles 12 months prior to the draw.
Ontario Express Entry: Skilled Trades Stream
Though the Express Entry Skilled Trades Stream currently targets only skilled trades workers in construction and agricultural fields. But the Stream will soon be expanded to include skilled trades in other sectors as well.
To be eligible, the candidates must meet the following requirements:
- An active Express Entry profile
- At least 12 months of paid cumulative or continuous Ontario work experience acquired within the last two years.
- The work experience should be in National Occupation Classification 633 or major groups 72,73 or 82
- Ontario license or certification for occupation (if required.)
- A valid work permit and residing in Ontario at the time of application.
- Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 5 or above in English or French, in all the four abilities: Reading, writing, listening and speaking.
- Proof of enough funds to settle in Ontario.
Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP)
Ontario is the most populous province in Canada where 40 per cent of Canada’s total population resides. Ottawa, the capital city of Canada and Toronto, the largest city in the country are located in the province. It is also one of the most favourite destinations for newcomers to settle in and the province welcomes one third of all newcomers coming to Canada in a year. Job opportunities, high income levels and the cosmopolitan environment are the factors that make Ontario attractive for immigrants.
The major categories under Ontario Immigration are:
- Human Capital Category
- Employer Job Offer Category
- Business Category
The Human Capital category is for skilled workers, French-speaking workers and trade workers. International graduates may also apply under this category. No job offer is required for this category. Employer job offer category has three programs under it:
- Human Capital Priorities – Express Entry
- French-Speaking Skilled Worker – Express Entry
- Skilled Trades – Express Entry
- Masters Graduate
- PhD Graduate
To apply for Canada immigration under Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program, one must first submit an Expression of Interest through OINP’s e-Filing Portal. Ontario conducts provincial draws regularly and invites the highest-ranking candidates to apply for provincial nomination. The candidates who successfully apply, receive provincial nomination from Ontario. Express Entry candidates receive 600 additional CRS score points along with the provincial nomination that guarantee them an invitation to apply for permanent residence in Canada in a subsequent federal Express Entry draw.