A Brief Guide on How to Get a Job after Pursuing Education in Canada

Job after study in Canada
Posted July 28, 2018

Canada offers a lot of opportunities for international students to work in the country and obtain permanent residence after they complete their graduation. This is exactly the reason why many students choose Canada as their study destination. Canada is keen about retaining the global talents capable of contributing towards its economy and labor force. And as far as a student is concerned, as foreign education is an expensive affair, getting a job immediately after their graduation will be a huge relief for them. Also gaining work experience in Canada will increase their chances of obtaining permanent residence in Canada.

There are three major ways to get a job after pursuing education in Canada.

Postgraduate work program

Under this program, international students who have graduated from a participating Canadian postsecondary institution can earn valuable Canadian work experience. The postgraduate work permit is issued for the length of the study program, the maximum duration being three years. In order to apply for the postgraduate work program, the education program pursued by the student must be of a minimum duration of eight months.

Other eligibility requirements include:

- Minimum 18 years of age

- The student must be graduated from

  • A public post-secondary institution
  • A private post-graduate educational institution with rules similar to a public institute
  • Apply for the work permit within 90 days after completing the course
  • Staying in Canada with a valid study permit, while applying for postgraduate work permit

Canadian Experience Class

Under Canadian Experience Class, international students graduated from a participating Canadian institution can apply for permanent residence in Canada. The eligibility criteria include being familiar with the Canadian society, language proficiency (English or French), work experience and capability to contribute to Canadian economy.

Canadian Experience Class is the fastest and simplest pathway to permanent residence for international students. The international students can earn sufficient work experience (minimum one year) after their studies with a post-graduate work permit, which will make them eligible to enter Express Entry pool under  Canadian Experience Class.

Provincial Nominee Programs

Under these programs, international students graduated from a Canadian institution can apply for provincial nomination for permanent residence in Canada. The student must have skills, education qualifications and work experience demanded as the eligibility by each province. Some provinces offer immigration advantages to international students who have studied there. Some of the PNP streams exclusive for foreign students are:

  • Alberta Post-Graduate Worker
  • BC International Post-Graduate Category
  • Ontario Masters & PhD Graduates
  • Alberta International Graduate
  • BC International Graduate
  • Ontario International Students

Contact us for more information on Canada education!


India: +91-75-94088000Dubai:  +971-42865134

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

Invalid number
A Brief Guide on How to Get a Job after Pursuing Education in Canada

Subscribe to our Newsletter
canapprove Submitting...

Follow Us

CanApprove@2021. All rights reserved.


One of the leading Migration services around the globe

CanApprove@2021. All rights reserved.

Don’t miss a single immigration update!

Our immigration consultants are at work to provide you with regular and authentic updates on immigration news, entry cut-off scores, entry draw results, etc., Wait no further and enter your E-mail ID to subscribe to our newsletter for free!

Subscribe to our Newsletter
canapprove Submitting...

Follow Us