August 3, 2022
Candidates with expired or expiring Post-graduation Work Permits (PGWPs) and Temporary Residence to Permanent Residence (TR to PR) pathway candidates will have new access to open work permits, announced Canada. This will make thousands of temporary residents in Canada eligible for open work permits. It will allow them to continue working in Canada for a set period.
According to the new announcement, Post-graduation Work Permits holders with work permits nearing expiry or whose PGWPs would expire between September 20, 2021 and December 31, 2022 will be allowed to stay and work in Canada for an additional 18 months.
Eligibility requirements for applying for TR to PR candidates:
- The principal applicant must be residing in Canada
- Temporary resident to permanent resident pathway candidates must have received an email from the IRCC confirming that you have successfully submitted your application for permanent residence (PR).
- Those who have applied for the PR pathway must have any of the following to work in Canada:
- A valid work permit
-An authorisation to work without work permit
-An authorisation to work under any public policy
- You must have valid results from an approved language test to prove your language ability.
- The applicant must have a valid temporary resident status. They must have applied for extension of their status before its expiry. They must also be eligible to have their status restored.
- The spouse/common law partner/dependent child of a principal applicant for the permanent resident pathway may apply for an open work permit. To be eligible, family member of a principal applicant must be above the age of 18. They must be residing outside Canada and must have submitted the application online. Further, the principal applicant of the family must have applied for an open work permit under this public policy. The principal applicant must have included the applying person as an accompanying family member. The family member must also have a valid temporary resident status. They must apply before their status is expired and must be eligible to have their status restored.
Do you wish to know more about Canada migration or Post-graduation Work Permits? Connect with the Canada migration experts of CanApprove. Contact us now!