Canapprove WHATSAPP

Students, approved permanent residents may now travel to Canada

permanent residents may now travel to Canada

Canada has informed that international students, approved permanent residents and other persons exempt from travel ban imposed in the wake of COVID-19 outbreak may now travel to the country. The Immigration Ministry of Canada has given detailed information on who all are allowed to enter the country and what all documents they need to submit to the airlines. The Ministry has made it clear that airlines have the authority to accept or deny boarding of a person.
Pnp finder
The international students may travel to Canada if they have a valid study permit or if they were already enrolled or accepted at a Designated Educational Institution (DEI) in Canada before the travel restrictions were imposed. These students need to self-identify to the airlines before boarding. They must submit a valid study permit or letter of introduction issued by the government on or before March 18, 2020 as proof.
Permanent residents who have already made the arrangements to move to Canada permanently before the travel restrictions were imposed may travel to the country. They need to self-identify at the airport check-ins and provide a proof of status, which can be a permanent resident visa or a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) document.
Temporary foreign workers who were already in Canada or who had made arrangements to come to the country before the travel restrictions were put in place may also travel to Canada now.

Exemptions for family members

Exemptions from travel ban are already in place for immediate family members of Canadian citizens and permanent residents. Foreign nationals whose immediate family members are residing in Canada as a worker, visitor, student or protected person may also travel to Canada now.
An immediate family member can be:

  • Spouse/common-law partner
  • Dependent children, and children of spouses/common-law partners
  • Dependent children of dependent children of either the Canadian resident or their spouse/ common-law partner
  • Parents or step-parents
  • A parent’s or step-parent’s spouse or common-law partner
  • A guardian or tutor

The dependent children need to be below the age of 21 or financially dependent on their parents owing to disability. Some adult children may also enjoy exemption provided they submit an official letter confirming that they are travelling to Canada in order to reunite with their family.

Documents to prove the family member’s status in Canada

In order to prove a family member’s status in Canada, one of the following documents may be produced:

  • Canadian passport
  • Proof of Canadian citizenship (citizenship certificate, citizenship card or provincial or territorial birth certificate)
  • Canada PR card
  • Canadian permanent resident travel document
  • Visa-exempt foreign passport and IRCC Special Authorization for Canadian Citizens

Documents to prove relationship with family member

  • Marriage or common-law status certificate
  • Birth certificate
  • Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) for the family class or under the one-year window
  • Other documents supporting an immediate family connection

Immigrants who have already obtained permanent residence in Canada may now travel to the country. Federal Express Entry and PNP draws continue to take place. All these mean Canada is set to meet its immigration target for 2020, despite the COVID-19 outbreak. Do not hesitate to start your preparations if you too wish to move to Canada permanently. Contact us for more details.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now