Canada’s Interim Pathway for Caregivers now open to applications


Canada’s Interim Pathway for Caregivers is now open to accept applications for permanent residence from eligible candidates. The one-time pathway will remain open till June 4, 2019. The pathway allows eligible in-home temporary foreign worker caregivers who came to Canada after November 30, 2014 to apply for permanent residence.
Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has not set any limit to the number of applications it would be accepting through the Pathway. IRCC opened the interim pathway in response to the concerns raised by those caregivers who came to Canada under the Caring for Children or Caring for People with High Medical Needs pilot programs after November 30, 2014 but did not qualify for permanent residence.
Canada CRS Calculator
Interim pathway for caregivers: Eligibility criteria
In order to be eligible to apply permanent residence in Canada through the interim pathway, a candidate must have acquired work experience through Canada’s Temporary Foreign Worker Program that matches the initial description and list of main duties for Canada’s National Occupational Classification (NOC) Group 4411 or 4412. The candidate must be intending to reside outside Quebec and fulfill the following requirements:

  • The candidate must be authorized to work in Canada at the time of application on a work permit other than a Live-in Caregiver Program (LCP) work permit; or
  • The candidate must have applied for a renewal of his/her work permit which is not an LCP work permit; or
  • The candidate must have applied and is eligible for restoration of status, and held a work permit other than an LCP work permit as their most recent work permit
  • Language proficiency of at least a CLB/NCLC 5 in English or French
  • Twelve months of full-time work experience in Canada since November 30, 2014, in a relevant occupation
  • A minimum of a Canadian high school diploma or non-Canadian educational diploma, certificate or credential equal to a Canadian high school diploma.

The candidates who have earned their educational credentials from outside Canada must submit an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA). The ECA must have been issued by an approved organization within five years before the date of application.
The candidates who are unable to submit an ECA before the Interim Pathway closes on June 4, 2019, are still eligible if they can provide a proof that they have already applied for ECA. Proof may include written confirmation from the agency that they have submitted a request for an ECA and/or receipt of payment.
However, caregivers whose current or most recent work permit is through the Live-in Caregiver Program are not eligible to apply for permanent residence through the interim pathway for caregivers.
Interested in Canada migration? Contact us to explore your options and for a free eligibility assessment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes:

<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Send Us An Enquiry

Enter your details below and we'll call you back when it suits you.

    [honeypot 953b1362b63bd3ecf68]

    Enquire Now Call Now